The Study Program of Sculpture develops in the student and future artist the knowledge and skills of this field. It trains the student in the use of diverse materials such as, wood, stone, metal, clay, as well as the command of traditional techniques such as modeling, carving, and construction. It encourages experimentation with innovative concepts and materials, as well as diverse practices of contemporary Sculpture. It also trains them for the critical analysis of their work and provides them with the necessary technical and conceptual tools to develop their plastic individuality. It stimulates them to create projects whose technical quality and depth, contribute to visual culture and to the enriching of the tradition of Puerto Rican Sculpture.
Upon completion of studies, the graduate will be enabled to:
- Use the elements and principles of three-dimensional expression as a main vehicle of his/her esthetic ideas.
- Know the general foundations and development of Sculpture conventions, as well as its modern and contemporary evolution.
- Command the technique of drawing as part of the execution of his/her sculpture work.
- Understand the diverse materials, techniques, tools as well as methods and processes, which intervene in the process of creating a work of sculpture, from its conceptualization to the final product.
- Command one or more materials and sculpture technique at a professional level.
- Understand the history and theory akin to the field of Sculpture.
- Know the different expressive and conceptual possibilities, from traditional to contemporary ones, for creating of works of sculpture and be able to combine sculpture with: other Fine Arts, Design and other fields.
- Analyze and evaluate his/her sculptures and others’.
- Use research, intuition, as well as critical and creative thought, in the search for solutions to the production of works of sculpture.
- Develop a defined visual and stylistic individuality, and work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Have an analytical and constructive mentality regarding his/her professional practice and the social responsibility it entails.
- Pursue graduate studies in his/her area of specialization.